Skip to main content


Do you accept e-transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution?

Yes. In fact, we encourage students to take advantage of this option when available. Please have e-transcripts sent to

Where should I send my transcripts?

Mailed transcripts and/or test scores should be sent via the U.S. Postal Service and directed to our P.O. Box address. Please note the you must include "School of Education" in the address or we will not receive your materials. Materials sent via Postal Service should be addressed as follows:

The College of William & Mary
The School of Education - Office of Academic Programs
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187

To send your materials via FedEx or UPS, you will need to use the following physical address:

The College of William & Mary
School of Education, Office of Academic Programs
301 Monticello Ave.
Williamsburg, VA 23185

Can I scan and submit a physical document? If so, what email address should I use?

Yes. Scanned documents can be sent to

Do I need to obtain copies of all my transcripts, even if I only took one course at an institution?

Yes. Some colleges may not include grades from transfer courses on their transcripts or in their GPA calculations and grant transfer credits only if a certain grade is achieved. Also, courses taken after graduation, regardless of field, are also taken into account when your application is reviewed. Therefore, we need official transcripts from every institution you have attended, even if those courses are reflected on another university's transcript.

Application Deadlines

Does your office need to receive all application materials by the application deadline?

No. The important thing is to receive the application itself by the deadline. Once you submit the application, an Admissions Advisor will work with you to compile and submit all accompanying materials. Also note that if our counseling program has space available, applications received after the deadline may still be reviewed.

One of my recommenders says s/he did not receive the email with the link for uploading a recommendation. What should I do?

First, have the recommender check his/her junk folder; the email is sent automatically when you save your online application. If they cannot locate the email in their inbox or junk folder, you can resend it through your application dashboard.

Test Scores

Do I need to take a subject-specific GRE?

No. You only need to complete the General Test, which is comprised of Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing sections.

Will my application still be considered if my test scores do not arrive by the specified deadline?

Yes. All completed applications are reviewed for admission. However, if the remainder of your application materials arrive after review has begun, there is a risk that the program will be filled before your application is reviewed. We recommend that you schedule your test at a time that will ensure your scores arrive by the deadline.

Do you accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) for International Students?

Yes. International students submitting IELTS results require a minimum score of 7.0. TOEFL scores are also accepted, with a minimum score of 100 on the internet version (or comparable score if the exam is not taken online).

Do I have to submit IELTS/TOEFL scores if I have earned a degree from a U.S. institution?


What are the school and department codes for the GRE?

When requesting that test scores be sent from GRE, our institution code is 5115. Be sure to also indicate a major/department code on your request. Anything in the area of "Education" will find its way to us.

What is the minimum score I need to attain on the GRE?

There is no minimum cut-off for the GRE. However, it is expected that applicants to the Online Master of Education in Counseling will score in the 40th percentile or higher on the GRE Verbal.

General Admissions Questions

How long does my essay need to be?

There is no set length or format for the essay. The average submission is two or three pages long, but your work can be as long or as short as you feel appropriate. More information is also available on our Admissions page.

When will I be notified of an admission decision?

Most admissions decisions will be posted within two weeks.

Who should I request as references?

Three references are required from individuals who are well-qualified to judge your character, scholarship and professional abilities, and at least one should be an academic reference from a faculty member.

Is the application deadline flexible?

Somewhat. Applications submitted after the deadline will still be reviewed, but spaces for the program may have already been filled if your submission is late.

Can I meet with a program faculty member?

Yes. Please call 757-221-2317 or email to schedule a visit.

Technology Questions

How do I start my online application?

Step one is to sign in here. After providing your first name, last name and email address and clicking "Submit," you will receive an email with further instructions and a link to access the online application.

I have not received an activation email even though I registered to create an online application. What do I do?

Check your junk folder to ensure the activation email was not caught by a spam filter. Otherwise, please refer to the section titled "How do I resend a registration activation link?" on the initial sign-up page.

What if I forget my password?

Please click "Forgot Password" to reset it.

What if I have problems while completing the application?

If you are having issues with our online application system, please call our office at 757-221-2317.

What if I cannot find my school listed on the application?

You can find your school in the "Enrollment History" section of the application by typing out the name of your institution in the "Institution Attended" field. Use keywords when searching and avoid using "college" or "university." If your school is not listed, type "unknown" and wait for the "Unknown School" option to appear; you can then type in the name of your college/university in the text box that appears.

What if I cannot upload a file?

This error is usually caused by special characters in the file name. Please adhere to the following suggestions when saving your files for upload:

  • Save and upload your file as a Word doc or PDF. This is the best option for getting past the ASCII character options.
  • Avoid using special characters ( ~, #, %, & , *, {, }, \, :, <, >, ?, /, |,) in the file name.
  • Use the icon beside the "Upload File" field to remove existing files. If you cannot remove a file that was uploaded in error, contact our office at 757-221-2317; we can delete it for you.
How will I know when I have completed all sections of the online application?

When you complete your application, you will see a green dot beside each section of the application, and the application will display "100%." You will then click "Save and Pay" to submit the application fee. Once payment is made you will be able to click "Submit Your Application" and electronically sign your document. Your screen will then display "100% Complete" and "Application – Submitted."

Please note that your application is not considered complete until you have submitted your online application in full and we have received all necessary materials, including transcripts, references, etc. Unfinished applications will not be reviewed by the university.

Can I save my application and work on it later?

Yes. At any point during the online application process, you can save your application and return to it at a later time. You will need your username (email) and password to log back in and complete the application.

What if I need to resend the email reference to my recommender?

You can send a reminder to any recommender who has not responded to your request. Locate your student dashboard and click the "Send Reminder" link to any recommender you want to remind.

What if I need to change the information for a recommender?

If your application is in progress, you can click into the "Letter of Recommendation" section, remove the desired recommendation and replace it with a new one. Do not type over the name of the old recommender and put in a new name. If you have already submitted your application, locate the checklist section in your student dashboard and select the "Change Recommender" link.

I have submitted my application. How do I check to see if all of the requirements for the application have been received?

Log into your account and locate your application to confirm it says "100% Complete" and "Application Submitted." Click on the application and locate the application checklist. This will show what materials have been received and which items are outstanding.

Upcoming Events

The W&M Online Counseling Webinar

August 21 Register Now

The W&M Online Office Hours

September 18 Register Now